Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Returning...

It’s been a long time – nearly four months – since I’ve written anything for this blog, and a lot has happened. I’ve finished another semester at Smith College, officially declared myself a music major, studied medieval philosophy and Italian, and, while they are still vivid, my memories of January have receded like any other recollections.

Now I’m packing. I leave the U.S. tomorrow night. I’ll spend about a week in Cambodia visiting Bhoomikumar and seeing the country. I’m looking forward to seeing the Angkor Wat, which is my first stop. From there I’ll fly to Madras and go from there probably to Kuthur. I will spend two months in Gandhigram trying to help with Amma’s projects (or at least trying not to be in the way) studying Tamil, and reporting back to all you readers, (I hope regularly).

It feels strange to be home from school for two weeks and already be packing to leave again. I’m more than a bit nervous, as this is the first time that I have traveled to another country by myself. At the same time, I am very excited. I miss everyone in India, and I have just realized that this year, I will spend far more time in Tamil Nadu than in Olympia, the town in which I have lived for an overwhelming majority of my life. My dad said a few days ago, “I've always wanted to raise world citizens, so I can’t complain when they’re never home!”

Aliyah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home